NATURE AND PEOPLE. WEATHER
CLIMATE. WEATHER TALKS
Ex. 2, p. 32
3) seas and mountains
4) from the west to the east
5) is considerable
Ex. 3, p. 33
Mild, sub (tropical)
Ex. 4, p. 33
Ex. 7, p. 34
B) There are mixed weather conditions all over Great Britain. Starting in the north, there is rainy weather, even thunderstorms are expected on the vast spaces of the north, while on the eastern coast it will be still cloudy day. We expect quite a lot of rain in the western part of the country. But it will he sunny all day long in southern England.
Ex. 8, p. 35
A) a – 3; b – 2; c – 1
B) Heavy rains will break out over Central Europe in Poland and Byelorussia. Some snow will fall in the north and west of Ukraine. In a few days a cold front will come in northern Europe. It will move across Ireland and British Isles. An area of high pressure over the southern part of Spain and western Mediterranean means that the cool but sunny weather will continue in southern Europe and in a few days will be pushed away by cold front from the North.
Ex. 12, p. 36
The weather in spring is generally mild but sometimes the days are really cold, especially in the beginning of the season. It is the time when everything awakes from its winter sleep. The air in May is pleasant, the sky is quite clear and blue.
Summer is the hottest season. People go to the seaside to sunbathe, to swim or to have a rest. In Ukraine it usually gets hot in the end of June and July. The summer nights are short, but wonderful, the days are long.
Autumn is a season of winds and beautiful sunsets. The weather gets cooler and cooler. The leaves turn yellow and reddish and fall to the ground and the birds migrate to warm countries.
A spell of sunny weather in September is called Indian summer or “Golden Autumn”. In October days could be foggy. In the end of November it sometimes snows. It’s a dull and rainy season.
Winter is the coldest time of the year. It is time of snow and frost. Last years the winter in Ukraine is milder due to the climate changes and frosty days are rare. In winter the temperature rarely can cross the point of ten or fifteen centigrade below freezing point.
Ex. 13, p. 36
Ex. 22, p. 38
1. My favorite season is summer.
2. Ukraine has a moderate continental climate.
3. I do not like autumn because it is rainy; it is cool and changeable especially in the end of the season.
4. Yes it is.
5. Actually it is a nice weather. A spell of sunny weather in September is called Indian slimmer or “Golden Autumn”.
6. Poets say a lot about autumn. Some of them are inspired by this season and they create terrific works of art. Others compare this season with the end of life. Nearly all great poets used and keep using metaphorical comparisons of this season in their works.
7. I like winter because we can ski. Winter is a magic season.
8. I prefer siding.
9. The coldest month of the year is February.
10. Nature starts awaking from its long winter sleep in spring.
11. I like spring. I like spring because everything around start awaking from its long winter sleep.
12. I guess the nature looks full of promise in spring, especially in April and May.
13. I do like summer. I like it because it is warm, even hot in summer. The weather is terrific. We can get to the seaside and swim there, to sunbathe, etc.
Ex. 25, p. 39
– It is a fine day today, isn’t it?
– Yes, the weather is wonderful; I am just going for a walk,
– After all the rains we had it is a very nice change.
– Good afternoon] What a terrible weather!
– Yes, it is raining cats and dogs.
– Do you know the weather forecast for tomorrow?
– Yes, I do. The weather forecast is the following: it’ll be raining all the day long again.
– What’s a pity!
Ex. 26, p. 39
T: Hi, Sam. Glad to see you, body!!!
S: Oh, Tod, hi. How are you?
T: Could be better.
S: What happened?
T: Nothing. I do not like such weather.
S: Is-it so bad?
T: It is not bad, it is terrible.
S: Tod, it is only your bad temper. Well, I invite you to our party. So, I am waiting you at home at 21:00 with your Susy.
T: Wow, It is the first good news for today. So, see tonight. But the weather is really extremely bad. Bye.
S: See you.
Mrs. Collins: Darling, how are you, my love?
Mr. Collins: Oh, Honey, what happened? You are calling me for the fifth time. Do not worry, everything will be all right.
Mrs. Collins: I have heard that the weather is getting worse. They say the fog is going to get worse, and I am afraid that you can get in a car accident.
Mr. Collins: Oh, Honey, do not worry. Every time there is a bad weather you call me every 10 minutes and ask me to be very careful while driving. Honey, I am not a child. See you in half an hour, I am coming back home. See you.
Mrs. Collins: I am waiting for you. Do not be late.
S. Jane: Jack, be careful and attentive while driving. It is said that heavy rains break out tomorrow as cyclone moves from the west.
Jack Oh, do not worry. Everything will be all right. It is not a tornado. I shall be in Berlin in three days. One day there and three days a plus and I’ll be at home.
Jane: You are right, but yesterday I saw a terrible car accident on TV. I scared a lot.
Jack I repeat, do not worry. I appreciate that you worry about me. But do not do it. I’ll be back right in time.
Jane: Good luck then.
Ex. 27, p. 39
1. Talking about seasons in Great Britain I can say that the year is divided into four seasons: winter, spring, summer and autumn.
The weather in spring is generally mild but sometimes the days are cold, especially in the beginning of the season.
Summer is the hottest season there. The summer nights are short, but wonderful, the days are long.
Talking about autumn, I can say it’s a season of winds and beautiful sunsets. The weather gets cooler. The leaves turn yellow and reddish and fall to the ground and the birds migrate to warm countries. A spell of sunny weather in September is called Indian summer or “Golden Autumn”.
Winter is the coldest time of the year. It is time of rain there. Sometimes it rains with snow. Only m the northern part of the country, in Scotland, it is really cold and frosty in winter. In winter the temperature rarely can cross the freezing point in Great Britain due to the warm Atlantic flows.
Ex. 28. p. 39
1. It means that I am feeling not good, that my mood and he>
2. It means that everything should be done in time.
3. It means that he is not right and there is no chance that he will be right.
4. It means that it is not a problem, or at least it is a very small problem.
5. It means that he frightened someone.