Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички й навички читання; вдосконалювати навички аудіювання й говоріння; розвивати логічне мислення; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань щодо кулінарних традицій світу.
Fill in the chart.
1) Barbecue, 2) snack, 3) brunch, 4) appetizer (the first course), 5) pudding, 6) a bite, 7) picnic, 8) breakfast, 9) side dish, 10) sweet, 11) cookout, 12) lunch, 13) starter, 14) banquet, 15) tea, 16) feast, 17) dinner.
Meals at different times of day
A meal outside
When you quickly eat a little food
A very big meal for a lot of people
Main course / entree
2. Grammar practice
Fill the gaps with the correct forms of the verbs.
AT A RESTAURANT
Karin. This is one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco. (1)… here before? (Eat)
Ken. Yeah, actually I ate dinner here last week when my sister (2)… . (Visit)
Karin. Yeah, it’s a nice place to bring out of town guests. What (3)… you and your sister… ? (Order)
Ken. We (4) … the Vietnamese spring rolls, the caramelized shrimp, and the vegetarian noodles. (Have)
K a r і n. I always (5)… the Vietnamese spring rolls. Let’s get an order now. (Get)
Ken. Yeah, and let’s get the caramelized shrimp. It (6) … excellent. (Be)
Karin.(7) … that… enough food or should we order something else? (Be)
Ken. Well, I’m pretty hungry. Maybe we should get the spicy green beans too. I (8) … to try them last week, but my sister hates green beans. (Want)
Key: 1 Have you eaten, 2 was visiting, 3 did… order, 4 had, 5 get, 6 is, 7 Will… be, 8 wanted, 9 think.
3. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 5, p. 119.
Do ex. 6, p. 120.
Waiter. Would you like tap or bottled water?
Customer. Tap is fine.
Waiter. Would you like to hear our specials for today?
Customer. Just your entree specials, please.
Waiter. For a main course, we have stuffed flounder, filet mignon and roast duck.
Customer. How much is the stuffed flounder?
Waiter. It’s $17.99 and comes with two side dishes.
Customer. What are the side dishes?
Waіter. You have a choice of sauteed spinach, lemon potatoes, mixed vegetables, or broccoli.
Customer. I’d like the spinach and potatoes.
Waiter. Will you be having any wine with dinner?
Customer. Yes, I’ll have a glass of pinot grigio, please.
Waiter. How is everything?
Customer. Delicious. May I see the dessert menu?
Customer. What do you recommend?
Waiter. The chocolate mousse. It’s the best in NYCI Customer. Okay, I’ll have the mousse, please. Also, may I have the check?
Waiter. Coming right up.
Do ex. 7 (a), p. 120.
Do ex. 7 (b), p. 122.
7. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 8, p. 122.
1) Which country do you think has the strangest eating habits?
2) What is your favorite dish?
3) What would you do if you were invited to dinner but you didn’t like the food? Would you eat the food regardless?
4) Could you ever be vegetarian?
5) What foods are traditionally eaten at: births/weddings/funerals in your country?
6) Which food could you NEVER give up?
7) What is the worst meal you have ever eaten and where was it?
8) What’s your favourite cuisine?
9) Have you ever eaten something and then had to spit it out again? What was it?
10) What is the best meal you have ever eaten and where was it?
Ex. 9, p. 122.