UNIT 8. SAVE YOUR PLANET!
HOME READING. ANIMALS IN DANGER (P. 163)
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички читання, усного мовлення, уживання в мовленні граматичних структур і лексичних одиниць ьіз теми, удосконалювати навички вимови; розвивати вміння послідовно висловлюватися іноземною мовою; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати любов до природи й інтерес до подорожування.
Match the names of the animals with something that you think they can do well.
Travel without food or water
Hear sounds from far away
Example: I think the fox can.
Listen to the text and do the task.
The animal world
There are five important kinds of animals in the world. They are called mammals, fish, insects, birds and reptiles.
Mammals have got warm blood. When their babies are born, their mothers feed them on milk.
Fish are the largest group. Their blood is cold. They live in water.
Insects make up 80 per cent of all the animals in the world. They have got cold blood and they lay eggs. They have got six legs. Many of them can fly.
The last kind of animals is reptiles – for example snakes. They are cold-blooded animals which live on land.
Match the two halves of the sentences.
Mammals are animals that…
…lay eggs. Many of them can fly. Their blood is warm.
Reptiles are animals that…
…give milk to their babies. They have got warm blood.
Insects are animals that…
…have got cold blood. They all lay eggs and their skin is thick.
Birds are animals that…
…live in water. Their blood is cold.
Fish are animals that…
…have got six legs. Most of them have got wings and can fly
Practise the new vocabulary
Match the new words with the Ukrainian equivalents.
2) to hunt
3) a hunter
5) to destroy
6) a scientist
7) a robin
8) to look after
10) a nest
Complete the sentences.
1) Many animals can be extinct because ____.
2) Some animals are in danger because ____.
3) To protect animals scientists ____.
4) In National Parks animals are safe because ____.
5) Scientists had to save the black robin because ____.
6) If you want to save animals you can join ____.
Put the words in the correct order and make up the sentences.
1) kill, shouldn’t, animals, hunters.
2) their, kill, people, skin, for, snakes.
3) animals’, people, and, homes, cut down, destroy, trees.
4) National Parks, we, different, visit, in, countries, can.
Answer the questions.
1) Why are there no mammoths nowadays?
2) What should we do?
3) Why do people hunt wild cats, snakes and crocodiles?
4) What are the other reasons for extinction animals?
5) What do some countries do to protect animals?
6) Why are the animals safe in National parks?
7) Where can we find the black robin?
8) How many black robins were there before and how many robins are there now?
9) What did the scientists do to make the robin to lay more eggs?
10) What can you do to help animals?
Retell the text using the following plan:
1) Some animals have been extinct because.
2) Some animals are in danger now because.
3) Some countries organize National Parks to..
4) In New Zealand only five black robins left, so scientists.
5) If you want to help animals, you should.
Describe the area you live in. Think of some species which live in your area.
Tell about the animals. Are the extinct or their number is growing? What animals does the law protect in your area?
Write a short paragraph about the animals which are in danger in Ukraine.