Unit 7 Seasons Dancing
Lessons 93 – 95 Learn to talk about autumn clothes
Weather forecast to change raincoat
Wellington boots to grow taller/bigger/ smaller
… in warm / cold weather You look great in… .
Now that you mention it,
1. Look and say in what season(s) you usually wear these clothes.
Example: I usually wear a jacket in autumn.
2. Listen and repeat.
September mild, October gold
Are followed by November cold.
Rain before seven,
Fine before eleven.
/e/ – September, November, seven, eleven
/әv/ – October, November, gold, cold
3. Look, match and say what you can do with these things in autumn.
Weather forecast a raincoat
Wellington boots a coat
4. Listen and reproduce.
AUTUMN CLOTHES TALK
Paul: Hey, Helen, you look great in your red jacket! Is it
Helen: Thank you, Paul. I wore this jacket on cold days back in autumn.
Paul: Now that you mention it, I remember! But it looked
More like a coat then.
Helen: True, true. And the sleeves were longer. Ha-ha!
Paul: Why? What happened to your jacket? Did it grow smaller?
Helen: Of course not! Nothing at all happened to my jacket. But something happened to me and you!
Paul: But what?
Helen: We have grown taller and bigger since autumn. Look at your jeans! They are getting shorter and shorter.
– We have grown taller and bigger since autumn.
– They are getting shorter and shorter.
Example: This is a picture of my raincoat. I wore it on rainy days back in autumn. It has “grown smaller” since then. The sleeves are too short. It means I have grown bigger.
6. Look and guess what the weather is like in England in autumn (p. p. 131-132).
Example: I think the weather is… in England in autumn.
7. Read and say if Helen dresses well in autumn.
THINGS TO WEAR IN AUTUMN
I am an English girl. My name is Helen. I am eight. I live in a small but friendly family.
I have got my mum, dad, and a little brother. My brother and I spend a lot of time outdoors.
We always listen with interest to the weather forecast for the next day. Then my parents tell us how to dress well in warm or cold weather.
It is especially important to know what the day will be like in autumn. The weather changes very often in this season. They say September is mild, October is gold, but November is cold. So my brother and I need a lot of different clothes: a jacket for a chilly1 day, a raincoat and a pair of wellington boots to wear if it rains, a coat, a woollen hat and a scarf for colder weather.
1 chilly – прохолодний
My favourite autumn clothes are my red jacket and a long scarf. I want to wear them in spring, too. I have just tried them on. Oh my! The sleeves1 are too short! I have grown taller and bigger, haven’t I? That means that my brother is going to wear my jacket soon.
8. True or False?
1. Helen has got a little sister.
2. It is a tradition with Helen’s family to listen to the weather forecast.
3. Helen has different clothes for different types of weather.
4. The girl likes to wear a blue jacket in autumn.
5. Her jacket is not big enough for her now.
9. Talk with friends about your autumn clothes. Use:
I spend… in autumn. My… always listens to… . Then she/he tells me how… . The weather changes… . So I need… . My favourite autumn clothes are… . I want to wear… .
10. Write the weather forecast for an October day.
It is going to be a… day. It will… in the morning.
The afternoon will be… . Maybe, the weather will… in the evening.
Do it yourself! Draw the clothes to wear on an October day.
1 sleeves – рукава