UNIT 2 Free Time and Sports
2.3 Learn to talk about sports
– to do sports
– to look sporty
– to play chess
1. Look and say where children can do sports.
Skating rink sports club
E x a m p l e: Children can skate in the skating rink.
2. Listen and repeat. Say if your pets do the same.
HEY DIDDLE DIDDLE
Hey diddle diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed
To see such a sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.
/і/ diddle, fiddle, dish
/v/ moon, spoon
3. Look, match and say what sport the children like doing.
To go swimming;
To play chess;
To do gymnastics;
E x a m p l e: These boys like playing chess.
4. Listen and role-play.
Jane: Hey, Bob, do you like sports?
Bob: Sure, I do. It is one of my best hobbies.
Jane: And what sport do you do, I wonder?
Bob: Personally, I like skating in winter and playing football in summer. And what sport’s you favourite, Jane?
Jane: My favourite sport is gymnastics. I adore it. I go to the sports club every Saturday. I want to look sporty.
Bob: Me, too. My dad says I must work a lot for it.
Jane: I think he is right.
– What’s your favourite sport?
– My favourite sport is gymnastics.
5. Talk with a friend about the sports you like. Use.
On your Own: Take a picture of your favourite sport and write 3-5 sentences about it).
E x a m p l e: Personally, I like to play chess. I go to the chess club every Sunday. I want to be the best chess player in my club. I must work a lot for it.
6. Look and guess who likes to do sports with Bob.
E x a m p l e: I think Bob likes to do sports with… .
7. Read and say what sports Bob and his friends like.
Many children like sports. They do sports in summer and in winter. Sport is one of the best hobbies for many of them. Some children go to the gym or to a sports club and learn to play football, volleyball or chess.
Bob also adores sports. He can run and swim well. His pets – a dog and a cat – do sports too. The cat likes to jump over the chair and he can jump high. The dog enjoys running. He likes to have a running race with Bob. They often run together in the park. Bob and his pets want to look sporty.
8. Answer the questions.
1. What is one of the best hobbies for many children?
2. Where do children do sports?
3. What sport does Bob like to do?
4. What sports do Bob’s cat and dog like?
5. Where do Bob and his pet run?
9. Talk with friends about your favourite sport. Use:
Personally, … . … is one of the best hobbies for me. I can… . Besides, I adore… . They say… . I often… .
10. Write about the sport you take in your diary. Use:
Sport is one of my best hobbies. … I want to look sporty but I must work a lot for it.
Do it Yourself! Make a sport page for your diary.