Unit 3 The Place I Live In
3.2 Learn to talk about the street and the house you live in
– in front of the house
– behind the house
– tall trees
– shopping centre
Don’t you know?
It can’t be true!
1. Look and say what you can see in the street.
E x a m p l e: I can see a lot of houses and tall trees in the street.
2. Listen and repeat. Say what there is in your street.
– What is there in your street?
– There are many houses, indeed.
– Are there any cafes or shops?
– Yes, they are near the bus stop.
/p/ shop, stop
3. Look, match and say in what street and house these children live.
A many-storeyed building; a broad busy street.
A one-storeyed house; a small lane;
E x a m p l e: The boy lives in a small one-storeyed house.
4. Think and say:
– what house you live in;
– what there is in front of your house;
– what there is behind your house.
E x a m p l e: I live in a two-storeyed house. In front of my house there is a playground. Behind my house there is a shop.
5. Listen and role-play.
Taras: Hey, Oksana, what are you doing here?
Oksana: Don’t you know? We got a new flat last summer.
Now I live in this part of Kyiv.
Taras: Glad to hear it. And what street do you live in?
Oksana: I live in Sadova street in a many-storeyed building.
Taras: It can’t be true! I live in the same street. Is there a big shopping centre near your house?
Oksana: No, there isn’t.
Oksana: There is a big nice flowerbed in front of my house and a cafe behind it.
Taras: I know where it is. There are two tall trees near this cafe, right?
Taras: I live in a nine-storeyed house next to the cafe.
Oksana: So we are neighbours!
– I live In Sadova street in a many-storeyed building.
– Oh, I live in the same street.
6. Let’s play “the same word” game. Use the box.
E x a m p l e: A: a house
B: I live in the same house.
7. Make up 5-6 sentences on the table.
E x a m p l e: I live in Sadova Street, in a many-storeyed building.
8. Talk with your friend about the street and the house you live in.
On your Own: Take a picture of any street/lane in your neighbourhood and write 5-6 sentences about it.
E x a m p l e: This is a broad busy street. There are a lot of many-storeyed houses there. There is a small cafe. In front of it there are benches. Behind the cafe there are flowerbeds…
9. Read and say why Kate likes to live in a small town.
ABOUT KATE’S HOUSE
My name is Kate Pavlenko. I live in Ukraine in a small cosy town. In this town there are some streets and lanes. And in these streets and lanes there are many houses – big and small.
I live in a many-storeyed house. In front of my house there is a big shopping centre. My mum usually does the shopping there. There is also a playground behind my house. I like it a lot. My friends and I like to play there in summer. And in winter there is a big skating rink. Girls adore skating, and boys enjoy playing hockey there.
In summer there are beautiful flowers around. We help our mothers to plant and water the flowers. I think it’s good to live in a small town. Everything is so near! Do you agree?
10. Read and choose the correct answer.
1. Where does Kate live?
A) in a big city; b) on a farm; c) in a small village.
2. What house does the girl live in?
A) a two-storeyed house;
B) a many-storeyed building;
C) a one-storeyed house.
3. What is there in front of Kate’s house?
A) a shopping centre; b) a cafe; c) Kate’s school.
4. What does Kate like most of all?
A) a shop; b) a flowerbed; c) a playground.
5. What is there in the playground in winter?
A) a snow house; b) a skating rink; c) a stadium.
6. What can we see there in summer?
A) flowerbeds; b) trees; c) birdhouses.
11. Act as Kate and say about your house. Use:
A many-storeyed house; in front of the house behind the house; a skating rink; flowerbeds.
12. Tell your friends about the street and the house you live in. Use:
I live in… street. My street is… .There are… and… . I live in a… house.
In front of my house there is/are… . Behind the house there is/are… . I like… .
13. Write about your street and your house for your class magazine. Use:
This is the street I live in. … And this is the house I live in. …
Do it Yourself! Draw a picture of your neighbourhood for your class magazine and label your favourite places in it.