Unit 7 Travelling
7.2 Learn to talk about travelling in Ukraine
– a sightseeing tour
– means of transport
– to go (travel) by bus (car, plane, train)
– to travel on foot
– to go on a hike
– to make a fire
That would be great!
That sounds good!
1. Look and say how children travel in Ukraine.
By bus by train
By plane on foot
E x a m p l e: Children can travel by bus in Ukraine.
2. Listen and repeat. Say how children like to travel and why.
– I say, Jane, do you like to travel by plane
– I prefer to travel on foot. It puts me in a good mood.
– That’s good. I still remember my travelling on foot to the wood. It was amazing.
/ei/ Jane, plane, train, amazing
/ʊ/ foot, good, wood.
3. Look, match and say what means of transport you usually use while travelling and why.
E x a m p l e: My family usually travels by plane. It is the fastest.
4. Think and say:
– where you can travel in Ukraine;
– what transport you like to travel by;
– how you feel while travelling.
E x a m p l e: I can travel to the big cities of Ukraine. I like to travel by train. It’s comfortable. I am so excited and happy.
Ann: Hi, Alex. What are you doing this Sunday?
Alex: Hi, Ann. I’m going to ride a bike. It is great fun, isn’t it?
Ann: So it is. But our classmates are going
Alex: That would be great! I love travelling on foot. We can make a fire near the river and bake potatoes.
Ann: That sounds good! I know a very picturesque place not far from the city. My family went there by car last week.
Alex: Does your family often travel?
Ann: Sure. My parents are experienced travellers, especially my dad. He takes us on a sightseeing tour during every holiday.
Alex: Fantastic! You’ve probably visited all Ukrainian cities.
Ann: Not all of them, of course, but many. Our trip to Lviv was the most memorable.
Alex: Do you always travel by car?
Ann: It depends. When we travel to the sea, we usually go by train. It is more comfortable, you know. Next holiday we are going to visit our relatives in Latvia.
Alex: Will you travel by train again?
Ann: No, Dad says this time we will go by plane. It is the fastest way of travelling.
Alex: But to go to the river on foot on Sunday is faster, right?
– I’m going To ride a bike.
– Next holiday We are going to visit our relatives in Poland.
6. Let’s play a ‘mime grammar’ game. Look at your friends’ mimes and say what they are going to do on Sunday.
E x a m p l e: I think Ann is going to bake a pie this weekend.
7. Look at the pictures and say what the children are going to do.
To make a fire to take pictures
To play hide-and-seek to go fishing
E x a m p l e: The children are going to make a fire.
8. Talk with your friend about your favourite kind of travelling.
On your Own. Describe the way you like to travel in Ukraine in 8-9 sentences.
E x a m p l e: I like to travel by car. It is romantic. We can stop where we like…
9. Read the diary (p. 154) and say what memorable places in Ukraine the children visited.
Lake Svitiaz Chernihiv Kyiv
Lviv Odesa Kharkiv
Sunday: Hooray! It’s summer! It’s Sunday and we are going to travel round Ukraine.
Travelling with my elder brother’s family is so much fun. He knows a lot about different places and our first stop will be in Lutsk. We are going there by bus. My brother told me about the Shatski Lakes and the most beautiful and largest lake Svityaz. I’m going to see it with my own eyes!
Monday: We are at Lake Svitiaz now and I’m really amazed. The weather is crystal clear and so warm. We are going by boat to see the wonderful Shatsk National Nature Park. My brother says there are a lot of rare flowers and birds there. I have never had a boat trip before. I think I’ll like it.
Wednesday: I’ve had a special time these last two days. In the evening we are going to Kyiv by train. We’ll have a three day sightseeing tour. I can’t believe I’ll see the heart of the country soon.
Sunday: It is Sunday again and I’ve seen a lot of interesting places in Kyiv. We went to the central square by underground and I took a lot of pictures there. We spent two hours in the underground shopping centre ‘Globus’. I’ll buy some souvenirs for my friends from there. Tomorrow we are going to the seaside, to Odesa, to be exact. We’ll travel by plane, and it will be the last stop. I’m so excited! It is the most memorable holiday in my life. To see different parts of Ukraine and to travel by all means of transport in a week! Enough to feel excited!
10. Look at the pictures and choose the means of transport the family travelled by. Say when they used them.
11. Describe your tour round Ukraine.
To go by bus;
To have a boat trip;
A three day sightseeing tour;
To take pictures;
An underground entertainment and shopping centre;
The most memorable holiday.
12. Talk about your travelling in Ukraine. Use:
One day… . We decided to travel… . It is so exciting… . I was really amazed by… . I had a special time… . I can’t believe… .
I took a lot of pictures… . It was a very memorable travelling and… .
13. Write a page in a diary about your travelling round Ukraine. Begin with:
It is summer and it is the best time for travelling. There are so many places to visit in Ukraine. All of them are unforgettable…
Do it Yourself! Draw the most memorable place you’ve visited in Ukraine.