Unit 7 Travelling
7.3 Learn to talk about travelling round the world
– not to mind something
– to take somebody along
– to go on business
– to enjoy every minute
– to try scuba diving
That’s right Do you fancy.?
I’d love to!
1. Look and say what children can see while travelling abroad.
Rare animals and birds exotic trees and flowers
Extraordinary buildings unique museums
E x a m p l e: Children can see rare animals and birds abroad.
2. Listen and repeat. Say what the children liked to see.
– I say, girls, have you seen early birds abroad?
– Oh, Lord, I’ve seen them all. They are so extraordinary.
/ə:/ girl, early, bird
/ɔ:/ abroad, Lord, all, extraordinary
3. Look, match and say what you would like to see/do while travelling abroad.
To take pictures of historic places;
To see magnificent buildings;
To try exotic food;
To go by unusual transport;
To try scuba diving.
E x a m p l e: I’d like to try scuba diving.
4. Think and say:
– what foreign country you’d like to visit;
– what places you want to visit and see there;
– what you want to try in this country.
E x a m p l e: I’d like to travel to Italy. I like history a lot and I want to visit ancient historic places. I’d like to take many pictures and show them to my friends.
5. Listen and role-play
Andrew: Hey, Oksana. It’s early spring but you look so
Suntanned. Where have you been?
Oksana: My granny went to India on business and took me along.
Andrew: Oh, I know that India is a country with many extraordinary and unique places with unusual traditions.
Oksana: That’s right. Have you ever seen Indian taxis?
Andrew: No. Do they differ from Ukrainian ones?
Oksana: A lot. Look! I have a few photos.
Andrew: But these are only elephants.
Oksana: They are elephant taxis. People travel around on their backs.
Andew: Oh, my! I’m sure, it’s not very comfortable. And besides, elephants may be very slow.
Oksana: I agree! And there is one more popular means of transport – the cycle-rickshaw. People sit in the back and a man on the bicycle pulls them along.
Andrew: These taxis are also very slow, slower than elephants, aren’t they?
Oksana: Yes, they are. But there are fewer passengers there, they are more comfortable and safer and what’s more – cycle-rickshaws are rather cheap. Children like to go to school by them. Do you fancy travelling on any of them?
Andrew: I’d love to. Did you go by an Indian taxi?
Oksana: Sure. It was a very unforgettable experience.
Andrew: I see you enjoyed your visit.
Oksana: Every minute of it!
– I have a few photos.
– There are fewer people there.
– Cycle-rickshaws are slower than elephants.
– But they are safer and more comfortable.
6. Let’s play a ‘grammar comparison’ game. Use the box:
E x a m p l e: A: Popular
B: More popular
7. Look and compare.
E x a m p l e: These houses are lower than those in the second picture.
8. Talk with your friend about travelling abroad.
On Your Own. Write 8-9 sentences about what surprised you in Oksana’s story.
E x a m p l e: I like Oksana’s story. India is really an unusual country. Indian taxis surprised me a lot. …
9. Read and say why the children enjoyed travelling abroad.
AROUND THE WORLD
Greetings from Greece. I’ve never seen such a picturesque place. I’ve already visited some magnificent historic places. Yesterday morning we went to see Athens. It’s really breathtaking! Frankly speaking, it’s very hot there but I don’t mind.
We are spending a week in Egypt. It is an ancient country with many historic places. We have already seen the pyramids. They are magnificent. We took many pictures and I bought a few souvenirs yesterday. The food is excellent, especially fruit bread.
Bye for now, Alex.
I am on holiday in Turkey. We are staying at a marvellous hotel by the sea. I swim every day and enjoy every minute of it. You’ll be surprised to know that I tried scuba diving. I’m having so much fun!
We are travelling round Cuba. It is such an exotic place! The weather is wonderful and so are the people. We have visited the biggest aquarium in the country and saw unique fish and sea creatures. The food here is tasty. I’ve eaten exotic fruit like mangoes and coconuts.
10. Read and mark the true statements.
1. Alex visited Egypt and liked the food there.
2. Max tried scuba diving in Cuba.
3. Helen saw rare fish and sea creatures in the biggest aquarium in Cuba.
4. Andrew didn’t like the hot weather in Greece.
5. All the children ate exotic fruit abroad.
6. Alex took a lot of pictures in Egypt.
11. Act as one of the children and describe your travelling.
To be on holiday;
To take pictures;
To be breathtaking;
To have a sightseeing tour;
To try scuba diving;
To be magnificent;
To have much fun;
To enjoy every minute of something.
12. Tell your friends about your/your friend’s travel abroad. Use:
I/he/she was on holiday… . It was… . We/They travelled there by… .
… is a fantastic place. I/He/She visited… and saw… . Frankly speaking… .
… most of all. As you see… .
13. Write about your dream travel abroad. Use the plan:
1. the weather;
2. places you want to visit;
3. things you are going to do;
4. food you are going to eat;
5. transport you want to use.
Do it Yourself! Draw a postcard with any place you/your friend visited abroad.