UNIT 2 Free Time and Sports
2.1 Learn to talk about your free time
To roller skate
– to climb the hills
– sports club
– tasty food
It really… such as.
1. Look and say what you like to do in your free time.
To skip the rope to read a book to draw a picture
To go shopping to slide to ride a bike
E x a m p l e: I like to skip the rope.
2. Listen and repeat. Say if you do the same in your free time.
JACK AND JANE
Jack can climb up the highest hill,
Jane can cook the tastiest food.
To try the sweetest mango fruit.
/k/ can, climb, cook, call
3. Look, match and say what the children can do in their free time (p. 31).
To cook tasty food;
To roller skate;
To bake pancakes.
4. Listen and role-play.
Jack: Hey, Jane, what do you like to do in your free time?
Jane: I like to cook with my grandma. I can cook the tastiest food, such as pancakes. And I often go shopping with my mum. The sportswear department is my favourite. So, how do you spend your free time?
Jack: I adore climbing up hills. I can climb the highest hill with our sports club. It’s fantastic!
Jane: It really is! I also like sports. My friends and I often roller skate in the park. They say I’m the fastest of them all.
Jack: Great! And can you ride a bike?
Jane: No, I can’t.
Jack: I can teach you if you like.
Jane: Thank you. You are so kind.
I can cook The tastiest food.
I can climb Up the highest
I am The fastest of them all.
High – higher – the highest
Long – longer – the longest
Big – bigger – the biggest
5. Talk with a friend about your free time. Use:
On your Own: Draw a picture of your favourite free time activity and write 3-5 sentences about it.
E x a m p l e: I like to draw. I take drawing lessons on Sunday. I can draw animals well. This is the funniest picture of my dog Rex.
6. Look and guess what sport Jack is good at.
E x a m p l e: I think Jack is good at…
7. Read and say what games Jack plays at the computer club.
JACK’S FREE TIME
Jack doesn’t go to school on Sunday. It is his free time, and he likes to spend it with his friends.
In the morning, he goes to the sports centre. He learns to climb up the hills, and he can climb the highest hill with his friends.
Then he goes to the park. Jack likes to ride a bike with his friends. Last Sunday they had a race, and Jack was the fastest of them all. He got a new bike and was the happiest boy.
Sometimes Jack spends his free time at the computer club. He likes to play computer sport games with his friends. Maybe, Jack will be a good sportsman in future.
8. Answer the questions.
1. Who does Jack like to spend his free time with?
2. What does Jack learn at his sports club?
3. What does Jack do in the park?
4. Why was Jack the happiest boy last Sunday?
5. What other club do Jack and his friends like to go to?
9. Talk with friends about your free time:
I like… in my free time. I can… . They say… . Sometimes… .
I also adore… . My friends and I…. I think… .
10. Write about your favourite free time in your diary. Begin with:
Today is Sunday and I…
That’s all for now.
Do it Yourself! Make a front page for your diary.