Unit 6 HOLIDAYS AND TRADITIONS
1. Listen, read and remember the words.
Many rich traditions
Багато різних традицій
The week before Easter
Тиждень перед Великоднем
The Pure Week
The Pure Thursday
To tap with a willow branch
Бити гілкою верби
2. Match the pictures to the word combinations.
A) bless b) tap with a willow branch
C) pussy-willow d) lighted candles
3. Skim through the second part of the text “Easter”.
4. Work in pail’s. Ask and answer the questions.
1. Easter has had many rich traditions, hasn’t it?
2. Which week is called White or Pure Week?
3. What do people do after the Passion service?
4. How is the last Sunday before Easter called?
5. What do people bless on this day?
6. What wish do people repeat tapping one another?
5. Read and learn the rhyme.
MY EASTER BASKET
“I have a basket, it’s for Easter.”
“What’s in the basket?”
Please, tell me.”
“Paska, babka, cheese and butter,
Ham, horseradish and kovbaska.
With some onion and beet relish,
A peeled egg and coloured ones.
And an Easter Egg!
We are going to light a candle,
Go to church and have it blessed,
And together we will sing out.
Christ has Risen!
Indeed He has Risen.”
6. Say what new information about Easter traditions have you learned.