Unite 7. Ukraine. Kyiv
1. Read the advertisements and choose the place to visit. Explain your choice.
Ann: I love drawing. So when there is an art exhibition in my city, I usually go there. This weekend I’m going to the Lavra Gallery to see the paintings by modern artists.
2. Read and complete the sentences. Use the words and word combinations from the box given below. Change the forms if necessary.
– a map – a guide – a guidebook – typical – to go sightseeing – an art gallery – to visit museums – to go on a guided tour – to get lost – to take photos –
1. You should visit this……… The exhibitions are really great there.
2. I in the old part of the city, Podil.
3. I lots of………… during my trip to Kyiv last year.
4. Please, call me in case
5. This museum has an impressive collection of paintings. I think I’ll go to this afternoon.
6. Our…….. was very good. She told us a lot of legends from the history of Kyiv.
7. You can get…… in the tourist information centre.
8. The……. you gave me was quite useful. It had all the necessary maps and brief information about the sights in the city I visited.
3. Read Jane’s letter to Ann. Which places in Kyiv has she visited?
I’m writing to tell you about my stay in Kyiv. I’ve visited all the main sights of the capital. I’ve seen St. Sophia’s Cathedral, St. Andrew’s Church and the Golden Gate. My parents and I also went on a boat trip along the Dnipro River yesterday.
Khreshchatyk Street, Kyiv’s main street, is a good place both to take a walk and for shopping. There is a large underground shopping and recreation centre called Metrohrad in the centre of Kyiv. It runs from Bessarabskiy Market to Lva Tolstoho Square. We’ve bought many things
That’s all for now. I’ll show you all my holiday photos when
I am back in London.
4. Look through the text in Ex. 3 again. Say if the following sentences are T (True) or F (False).
1. Jane is on a school trip in Kyiv.
2. Jane has visited a lot of sights in Kyiv.
3. Jane would like to travel along the Dnipro River one day.
4. Jane liked everything about Kyiv.
5. Jane used a guidebook all the time.
6. Jane thinks that shopping in Kyiv is great.
5. Read and act out the situation.
A group of English-speaking children are on a visit to your school. Tell them what you know about the capital of Ukraine.
6. Write about the places you I your friend visited last summer. Start like this:
Last summer I was in Kyiv. The art and architecture of this city are world treasures. I was in Kyiv with We visited the
Kyiv-Percherska Lavra, or the Monastery of the Caves. It has two 11th-century cathedrals in its grounds. The world-famous catacombs of the Lavra, a bell tower, and museum collections attract tourists year after year. We also went on an excursion to It was