Unit 7 MY SCHOOL
1. a) Read this “wanted” advertisement for a school.
Large school in the mountains.
Large gymnasium, swimming pool and assembly hall.
Learning English by television and computers.
Participation in grants, projects, competitions.
Wanted Spending a lot of time on the open air.
Good library with video and audio materials.
Big garden with flower beds and greenhouses.
Good canteen with plenty of tasty food.
B) Write a “wanted” advertisement.
C) Mix up the advertisements. Guess who wrote each one.
2. Think of an ideal school. Present your ideas to class.
3. Ann has just moved to a new town. She wants to make friends with other pupils but she doesn’t know how. Write three solutions to Ann’s problem. Discuss them with your classmates.
Model: She can join after school activities.
4. Read Sam’s personal profile.
From: Sam Hill
Subject: Personal Profile
My name is Samuel. I am Sam for short. I am fifteen years old. I’m slim and have sunburned face, straight nose, high forehead, full lips and dark hair.
I enjoy going to discos and I am interested in music. The most interesting subject for me is English. It is the most influential language in the world. More than a billion people speak it. I’m not good at Maths.
My school is next to my house. It takes me just two minutes to get there. My school is an ancient three-storey building.
There are other three ancient buildings in my street. My street is also famous for its smart shops and parks.
I live with my mother, father and sister in a private house. It is with a view of the park. We love the neighborhood we live in.
I want to go to London. I find it amazing.
5. Complete the sentences with the information from Sam’s personal profile.
1. He is Sam…. 2. He is slim and… . 3. He enjoys… . 4. English is… . 5. Sam is not good… . 6. The most interesting subject for him… . 7. It takes Sam… . 8. His school is an… . 9. Sam’s street is famous… . 10. His private house is with…. 11. He wants to… because… . 12. He lives with… . 13. They love their… .
6. Read Sam’s personal profile again and write yours. The map below will help you.
7. Explain the quotations below in your own words.
Nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute.” (Unknown) “Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it.” (Edmund Burke)
“An educated man should know everything about something, and something about everything.” (С. V. Wedgwood)
“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” (Mark Twain)