UNIT 1. PEOPLE AND RELATIONSHIP
Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички та навички вимови, аудіювання, читання й усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення; виховувати правильне ставлення до людських стосунків, а також загальну культуру учнів.
Listen to each sentence describing a personality type (for example, “A person who is happy”). Then choose the word that describes that personality type (“cheerful” in this example).
Personality Types 1
1) A person who likes to give or share things with others.
2) Someone who always tells the truth.
3) A person who is quick at learning new things.
4) Someone who is always on time.
5) A person who can’t keep a secret.
6) Someone who does not think about other peoples’ feelings.
7) A person who speaks in a very direct and honest way.
8) Someone who is educated or has good manners.
9) A person who comes up with new and original ideas.
10) Someone who has a strong desire to succeed.
1) A) selfish
2) A) comical
3) A) spoiled
4) A) punctual
5) A) bigmouth
6) A) talented
7) A) sloppy
8) A) childish
9) A) creative
10) A) forgetful
Key: 1 c; 2 b; 3 b; 4 a; 5 a; 6 c; 7 b; 8 c; 9 a; 10 b.
Do ex. 6, p. 6 (checking the homework)
> Practise the vocabulary.
Do ex. 1, p. 7.
Do ex. 2, p. 7.
Having pen friends is a good way to meet people. What kinds of things would you write or talk about when introducing yourself to a pen friend (pen pal) for the first time? How do these topics change depending on the situation and the person to whom you are speaking (e. g., an older man on a airplane or a fellow student at a party)?
> Work in pairs.
Introduce yourself to several people (e. g, classmates, coworkers, complete strangers) in different situations.
Do ex. 3, p. 7.
7. Reading and speaking
Read the following items from a magazine.
Do you think that all boys are attracted only by good looks?
Alex, 19: I still can’t resist a great-looking girl, but a pretty face doesn’t compare to a smart mind.
Lloyd, 19: Her body is something that would be attractive to me. That means she works out a lot, and doesn’t smoke, drink or do drugs, even if her friends are doing them.
Kevin, 22: I’m attracted to girls who are down-to-earth and simple. Rude girls are ridiculous! if a girl I like acts mean and snobby to everyone, why should I be treated any different?
Adam, 18: Initially a good-looking girl catches my eye. but if she doesn’t have a good personality then forget it.
Michael, 20: A good personality is more important to me than what a girl looks like because I want to be able to relax and have fun with her, like I would with my friends or my family.
James, 20: A girl that shows interest in me attracts me. I don’t like girls who are only interested in talking about themselves.
In small groups, describe the “ideal” partner for you. Think in terms of personality, educational and family background, socioeconomic level, job, and personal values and beliefs.
1) What are some characteristics of your personality?
2) Would you like to be different?
3) Do you think you can change a major characteristic of your personality if you try?
Ex. 4, p. 7.