Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; навички аудіювання, усного мовлення й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати зацікавленість у позашкільній діяльності.
Playing the drums?
Making airplane models?
Why not join our
Model aircraft club?
2. Grammar practice
Revise must, have to and needn’t. Choose the correct answer.
1. I… go to see the doctor last week because I was very ill.
B) must to
C) had to
2. I… go now because I am already late for my class.
C) have to
3. Do you… clean the house every day or every week?
C) have to
4. They… do their homework today because it is a holiday at the school.
A) must not
B) don’t have
C) don’t have to
5. He is terribly fat. He… eat too much.
C) have to
6. Are you going to read the report? No, I…. I already know what it says.
7. I… leave the party early last night. I wasn’t very well.
B) had to
C) was to
Key: 1 c; 2 a; 3 c; 4 c; 5 b; 6 a; 7 b.
Listen to a short story and and do the task.
My friend Sam is a very busy person. When he isn’t doing his homework or studying he is out having quite a lot of activities.
On Mondays he goes swimming after school. He practices a lot because he is in the school team. Then on Wednesdays he goes to computer club. On Thursdays he plays chess and then on Fridays he meets his friends in the city centre.
At the weekend Sam always spends time with his family. He usually goes fishing with his dad and helps his mum with the shopping.
Answer the questions.
1. Is Sam very busy?
2. What team is he in?
3. What does he do on Wednesdays?
4. When does he meet his friends?
5. What board game does Sam like playing?
6. Who does Sam spend time with at the weekend?
7. What does he help his mother do?
4. Vocabulary practice
Practice the new words (p. 24) and give Ukrainian equivalents to them.
Complete the sentences.
1. I decided… to the school rock band.
2. I’m going to… the new car… .
3. This… booklet tells you everything you need to know about the place where you going.
4. I didn’t… her much anyway.
5. He is… of the local tennis club.
6. I think we must… again and sing this song at last!
7. It was the major sporting… of the year.
8. To improve my English I try… speaking slowly and clearly.
9. I’m not too… Physics.
10. My friends… of becoming programmers.
Key: 1 join; 2 try out; 3 handy; 4 hang around with; 5 a member; 6 get together; 7 event; 8 to practise; 9 keen on; 10 dream.
Do ex. 4, p. 24.
Do ex. 5, p. 25.
Do ex. 6, p. 25.
Choose any club from ex. 6, p. 25 and write why you would like to join it.