UNIT 9. SCHOOL STORIES
Lesson 9.2 He Didn’t Say “Sorry” …
1. When should you say “sorry”?
I should say sorry if my friend lost a game.
Your friend lost a game.
Your teacher said “Hello!”
Your friend gave you back your book.
You pushed a student in school.
You didn’t say “Thank you” to your mother.
You had your brother’s snack.
2. Read and choose the right form.
1. When I was coming / came home, she was drawing / drew.
2. When he was calling / called me, I had / was having breakfast.
3. I was taking / took his marker when he slept / was sleeping.
4. I said / was saying “stop!” when they pushed / were pushing each other.
5. He fell / was falling down when he was playing / played football.
6. She was meeting / met her teacher when she was going / went to school.
7. He pushed / was pushing him when he told / was telling a story.
8. We saw / were seeing him when he came / was coming home.
3. Think what you were doing when your teacher saw you. Let your partner guess it.
– When my teacher saw me, I was doing it.
4. Remember the story and put these facts in the right order.
A. Willie didn’t say “sorry” to his teacher.
B. They played football.
C. Willie didn’t like losing a game.
D. Willie wasn’t a polite boy.
E. Willie came to school and pushed his teacher.
F. The second lesson was on the sports ground.
5. Do you know these words? Answer the questions.
What did Willie do?
Who did Willie bump into?
6. Read and compare your answers in Task 5.
That day Willie’s football team lost a game and Willie shouted at his friends so loudly that all the babies in the park near the school started crying. All the moms in the park looked at Willie, but he didn’t say “sorry”.
After the third lesson they had a snack and everyone ran to the canteen. Willie ran there first, bumping into other pupils on his way. Everyone looked at him, but he didn’t say “sorry”.
(After Louis Slobodkin)
7. Find a sentence for each picture in the text in Task 6
8. Write true sentences about the story.
When / babies / crying / didn’t say
– When babies were crying, Willie didn’t say “sorry”.
When / moms / looking / didn’t say
When / running / bumped into them
When / students / looking / didn’t say
9. Write 5 sentences about you using the structure and words below.
When I was sleeping, my friend called me.