UNIT 2 Free Time and Sports
2.5 Learn to talk about British sports
– to play rugby
– to win the competition
– to become a champion
1. Look and say what sports British children like.
Tennis football rugby
Horse riding car racing roller skating
E x a m p l e: British children like to play tennis.
2. Listen and repeat. Say what you favourite pet is.
A HOBBY HORSE
Henry had a little hobby horse,
It was well shod.
It carried him to London Niddetly nod.
/ɒ/ hobby, shod, nod
/h/ Henry, had, hobby,
3. Look, match and say what sports these British children can do.
E x a m p l e: This British boy can play rugby.
4. Read and role-play.
BRITISH SPORTS TALK
Taras: Hey, Henry, what sports do British children like to play?
Henry: It depends. Boys like to play football or rugby.
Many girls are fond of tennis and roller skating.
Taras: They say horse riding is popular in Britain, right?
Henry: So it is, but it is more popular with parents.
Some children have ponies and they like to ride them.
Taras: I see. And what sport are you good at?
Henry: Personally, I enjoy car racing. Last summer my car was the fastest. I won the race and became the school champion.
Henry: Thank you.
Horse riding is More popular with parents.
5. Talk with a friend about British sports. Use:
On your Own: Find a picture of British sports and write 3-5 sentences about it.
6. Look and guess what British sport Taras wanted to know more about.
E x a m p l e: I think Taras wanted to know more about…
7. Read and say what sport Henry’s brother is good at.
I am glad to hear that children in Ukraine like to do British sports – tennis and football. It is really great that we like the same sports.
You asked me about rugby. It is also a British sport. Rugby is more popular with boys. Usually 16 players play with an oval ball. They can play not only with their feet, like in football but they can also use their hands. My elder brother John is the captain of his school rugby team. I am happy to tell you that John’s rugby team is our city champion. Every year they win a rugby competition. John and his friends are good athletes. They are real sport heroes in our city. Please, write about Ukrainian sports and athletes.
8. True or False?
1. Children in Britain and Ukraine like tennis and football.
2. Taras knows a lot about rugby.
3. Rugby players use only their hands.
4. Henry’s younger brother John can play rugby well.
5. John and his friends are the winners of the city rugby competition.
9. Talk with friends about British sports.
Children in Britain… . Boys usually… . As for girls, … . They can… . Children often… . They like… .
10. Write about British sports that are popular in Ukraine in your diary. Begin with:
Children in Britain and Ukraine like sports…
I want to learn to play… .
Do it Yourself! Make a picture page about British sports for your diary.