UNIT 2 Free Time and Sports
2.4 Learn to talk about Ukrainian athletes
– to be good at
– figure skating
– sport fan
Come on, then.
1. Look and say what sports are popular in Ukraine.
Football gymnastics swimming
Boxing fishing figure skating
E x a m p l e: Football is very popular in Ukraine.
2. Listen and repeat. Say what hobby you share with your friends.
Little fishes in a brook,
Peter caught them on a hook.
Helen fried them in a pan.
Andrew ate them like a man.
/ӕ/ – pan, ate, man
/ʊ/ – hook, brook
3. Look and say what sports these Ukrainian athletes are good at.
Andrii Yana Denys Klychko Anna
Shevchenko Klochkova Sylantiev brothers Bessonova
E x a m p l e: Andriy Shevchenko is good at football.
4. Listen and role-play.
Peter: I say, Andrew, let’s go to the brook.
Andrew: With pleasure. I like swimming and I want to be the best at swimming like the famous Ukrainian swimmer, Denis Sylantiev.
Helen: I’m also fond of swimming. My dream is to be ‘a gold fish’ like Yana Klochkova.
Peter: Good for you. But what about fishing? We can catch a fish on a hook.
Helen: And I can cook it in a pan.
Andrew: And I like eating it like a man.
Taras: Come on, then, Andrew.
He is a famous Ukrainian Swimmer.
5. Talk with a friend about your favourite Ukrainian athlete.
On your Own: Choose a sport photo and write 3-5 sentences about it.
E x a m p l e: Gymnastics is popular in Ukraine. Many girls are fond of this sport.
It’s so beautiful. Anna Bessonova is the best at gymnastics.
6. Look and guess where the great Ukrainian athlete, Oleh Blokhin began to play football.
E x a m p l e: I think Oleh Blokhin started to play in… .
7. Read and say what football teams Peter and Andrew are fans of.
Football is very popular in Ukraine. No wonder, Ukraine held the biggest football competition in Europe in June 2012. Footballers from all over Europe came to Ukraine. Football fans watched football on TV and at the stadiums.
Ukrainian boys, big and small, adore football. They begin to play in the yards or school playgrounds. The famous Ukrainian football player, Oleh Blokhin, started to play in Zhytomyr. Andrii Shevchenko began to play in Kyiv school team and Artem Milevskyi first played in Minsk. Now they are real sport heroes.
Peter and Andrew also like football. They can’t play well yet, but they are great football fans. Peter’s favourite team is “Shakhtar” and Andrew’s is “Dynamo”. The boys want to learn to play football like their favourite footballers.
Footballers from all over Europe came to Ukraine.
8. Read and choose.
1. Ukraine held* the biggest… competition in 2012.
2. Footballers from all over… came to Ukraine.
B) Great Britain;
C) the USA.
3. Boys begin to play football… .
A) in the gym;
B) at the stadium;
C) in the yard.
4. Oleh Blokhin is a famous Ukrainian… .
B) basketball player;
5. The boys’ dream is… .
A) to learn to play football;
B) to become famous volleyball players;
C) to be sport fans.
9. Talk with friends about your favourite Ukrainian athlete. Use:
… is very popular in Ukraine. I adore… . My favourite athlete is… .
He/she is good at… . She/he can… . I’m a big fan of… .
10. Write about your favourite Ukrainian athlete in your diary. Begin with:
…. It is so exciting! My dream is…
Do it Yourself! Make a page about popular Ukrainian athletes in your diary.
*held – проводила.