Unit 4 WEATHER. NATURE
1. Listen, read and remember the words.
Torrential rain /
Pour cats and dogs
Потрапити у пастку
2. Name the odd word out in each line.
1. rainfall, thunderstorm, sun, torrential rain
2. sunny, cloudy, rainy, autumn
3. storm, hurricane, hail, nasty
4. spring, winter, thunder, summer
3. Find, read and write down the words.
4. Write German/French equivalents to English words and word combinations. Make up three sentences with them.
Rainfall, thunderstorm, frosty, nasty, thaw, hail, torrential rain.
5. Match the words to make up the word combinations.
6. Use the words below in your own sentences.
Snowy, foggy, rainy, sunny, cloudy, windy, hot, warm, frosty, nasty, overcast, hurricane, thunder, lightning, thaw, torrential rain, gusty winds, severe weather, violent storm, pour cats and dogs.
7. Listen to weather news. Tell in what part of Ukraine it could happen. Give your reasons.
Severe thunderstorms caused flash flooding across parts of the country on Sunday night. A torrential rain and hail overwhelmed city streets, trapping cars.
Nearly 100 mm (3.9 inches) of rain fell during the storm, which lasted only a few hours. This was almost three quarters (3/4) of the total rainfall, which is usually expected throughout the month of April.
A senior forecaster from the Bureau of Meteorology said the flooding was the result of slow-moving thunderstorms.
8. Read and think of short weather reports using each phrase.
We are expecting torrential rain.
This large hail will damage the crops!
What strong gusty wind blows!
Some people were injured.
9. Listen to the weather forecast for Ukraine for tomorrow. Write and then tell it in English.